Recipes: Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This soup was the $500 grand prize winner for the Better Homes and Gardens December 2012 contest and it is worth every ounce of its winnings. We make this soup at least twice a month. It's inexpensive and tasty and, with a few alterations of my own, even my picky son will eat it.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast
- 1 16 ounce package of gemelli noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon curry
- 1 cup half and half or light cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- In a large pot, cook carrot, celery, onion and garlic in hot butter 5 minutes until tender. Stir in broth, chicken, noodles and seasonings. Simmer, covered, ten minutes or until noodles are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together half and half and flour. Add to pot. Add broccoli and peas. Simmer uncovered five minutes until slightly thickened Spoon into bowls, top with biscuits.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and cream of tartar. Cut in butter to make coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in center and add milk. Using a fork, stir until just moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough until it holds together. Pat into a square, cut into 12 rectangles.
- Place one inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden.
We serve ours with honey butter and the soup is great reheated.
Recipe written by Beth Seuferer from West Des Moines, Iowa.